Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shamrock St. Patrick's Day Treats

I know, I know... I still need to post the pictures of the girls finished room. I'll get to it, I promise. BUT, I wanted to post what we did for our family night treat last night, in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I don't get WAY into St. Patrick's Day, other than making sure that I wear green so my kids don't pinch me, so this is a streatch for me. The kids loved it!

Here's the finished product:

Here's what I did to make them: First I added green food coloring to the marshmallow mixture (add the green food coloring BEFORE you add the rice krispies)

Then I dumped it all out on some waxed paper. It wasn't wide enough, so I had to double up the waxed paper (just a FYI).

Then I covered it with a layer of waxed paper (yea for waxed paper!) and rolled it out thin. I'm sure you could probably do this in the pan, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to cut enough hearts out to make 6 shamrocks if I did a 9 x 13 pan. I wanted to have it a bit thinner.


Peel back the top layer of waxed paper and start cutting hearts with a cookie cutter. You could use 3 or 4 hearts for each. I used 3 because I thought it fit better. I used scraps and rolled out a "stem" like you would with play-dough.


Viola! They are so cute! My kids loved them, and so did I. (I love rice krispie treats!)


Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Adore this!

Unknown said...

Hey Kari, Not that you don't have enough do create in your life, but if you like to create with food, we would love to invite you to our cooking blog/club thingy. Let me know. You are just so creative that I thought you might be interested.