Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Tower of Cuteness

So in my house, we have pretty tall ceilings, and in the kitchen I have A LOT of upper cabinets that have nothing on them. Tall ceilings + lots of cabinets = funny looking empty space. I mean, seriously, we've lived in this house for what, almost 5 years now??? I dare say there is stuff up there that DOES NOT belong. Why do I write this you say? Well, I am in the (long) process of collecting items to go up on the tops of the cabinets. You know, to decorate it really cute-like. I've spent soooo much time searching the internet for pictures of decorated kitchen cabinets that I like, and I just can't find anything. BUT, I made this, and I'm thinking it is going up:

I saw one here, and decided I liked it enough to make my own. For my purposes, I didn't like the pictures hanging off in all directions, so I just left them off. It was super easy to make. Here's what I used: 2 x 4, scrapbook paper, modge podge, ribbon, and vinyl letters.

The wood pieces are cut starting at 10" (for the bottom) and then they decrease by 1" until I got to the top. If you have long names to put on there, you may have to go with longer pieces to start. I basically just figured out which name was the longest on paper, and then towered it up to the shortest name. (My 4 year old immediately told me that they weren't in "order". Smarty pants.) I put our last name on the bottom, knowing that it may or may not show, once I get it up on the kitchen cabinets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is sooo adorable! Great job! You're so creative and do such nice things. :)