Friday, March 20, 2009

Food Storage, Comments please

I'm taking on the unpleasant, and yet never ending task of the FOOD STORAGE ROOM! I'm wondering if any of you actually inventory your food storage, and keep a running inventory of it? I'm thinking this may be a good idea so I'm not guessing what I need to buy each time I go shopping. Does anyone have a good system that they are willing to share? How do you keep track of what you take out of your storage? Today I got everything inventoried and I know what I need to buy, I'm just debating on how to go about tracking everything. I really don't want to keep doing an inventory every couple of months, it was way too much work! Maybe I'll post some pictures when I get all the things purchased that I still need. Ideas please?

4 comments:

Amy said...

If you ever figure this out, please share! I don't know how to do it either. I have about a TON of powdered sugar, not realizing that I bought it the time before and the time before that...Why I thought I needed it in the first please, I'll never know.

Jamie said...

Kari,
here are some fun food storage sites, I will send more, they are hidden in my favorites but, I have to go to bed now. Have a good night.
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/tools
http://www.dealstomeals.com/

Unknown said...

My husband just did it all, so I guess that is one answer, have Doug do it! Ha Ha Ha!

Seriously though, we have the canning shelves that Nathan made so they roll back, drop down and roll forward. We just go out there and look in each slot and write down what we need. That is for all the canned goods, including the #10 cans. Then we have our indoor pantry with the pasta, boxes, baked goods, etc. That we just do the old fashion way. I love our canning shelf though, I recommend it. Makes it easy to do a quick-glance-see-what-you-need inventory.

Let me know if you find out anything better. We are always looking for ways to improve.

Amy said...

I just saw this link on another blog and thought of you.

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/

I haven't checked it out yet, but plan too. Hope it helps.