Monday, October 20, 2008

Another 12 bites the dust!

In preparation for my 2nd upcoming half-marathon, I did a 12 mile walk today. That is the longest I have ever walked in one stretch (that I actually know of - there's no way we went that far at girls camp, is there?) without actually doing the half-marathon. That brings us to "why" you might ask? I ask myself the same thing. After doing the first half-marathon, I was seriously wondering if I would do another because it was very difficult for me to do the first one. I decided that it was a really good way to keep me exercising (because I would prefer not to) so I kept up the training. It definately has been easier this time around. I now walk even faster than I did 2 months ago. I finished my first half marathon in 3 hrs and 1 minute. (Remember, I was just walking.) I should definately be able to shave off at least 5 minutes this go around. That marathon comes up this weekend, so it will be a relief to get another behind me.

I think I forgot to tell this part, which is why I started the post in the first place... it was a very hard walk. Not just because it was so long, but the weather sucked! Last week it was raining for my 11 mile walk, so I did it on the treadmill, (that sucked too...) and it took me almost 3 hours for the 11 miles. Today I was lucky that it didn't start raining until I hit my 3 mile mark, but the wind was blowing too. I knew that potentially it would start to rain, so I did the walking into the wind at the beginning, hoping to get it past me before the rain started. No such luck. At the half-way mark, Doug was going to bring me water and a granola bar, but by the time he got there, I was "running" behind because of the wind and rain. He picked me up and took me to the next spot in the road where it turns, and I would be walking with the wind for the rest of the way home, luckily it was under a mile that I "cheated" on. It was much easier walking with the wind and the rain didn't even bother me. I guess it's all perspective. At about mile 9 I was trying to figure out if I was going to go the full 12 miles (add more onto the end for my cheating bout) or just cut it at 11 and call it a day. I decided I'd made all that effort (taking the first step out the front door was the hardest - oh wait, until it started raining.) I may as well add 1 more mile on the end and actually do my 12. It wasn't too bad and I probably could have gone another 1.1 miles, but I'll save that for this weekend.

As we have been talking with Bryce and Ambri about our upcoming trip to Australia, Ambri asked if we could surf. I told her that we should learn to snorkle first (Doug and I have done it before) and she proceded to list off the things we will do while we are on vacation.

Snorkle
Surf
No ice in our drinks

I laughed really hard.

1 comment:

Charisse Baxter said...

You've taught her well.

Nice work on the training - I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to keep up with you in January!